Come aboard the James Craig – a majestic 1874 tall ship!
Barque James Craig is rightly famous around the world.
She is Sydney’s only 19th Century square rigger (or Tall Ship) and her incredible restoration to full sailing condition was recognised in 2003 by the World Ship Trust’s award of their prestigious Maritime Medal. Her restoration cost almost $A30 million and took nearly 40 years to complete after she was rescued from Recherche Bay in far southern Tasmania.
- A guided tour of the vessel
- Learn about what is was like for the crew to sail a 19th century, square-rigged ship
- Experience first-hand what life was like for the officers and sailors of a Tall Ship by participating in a range of age-relevant activities such as
setting sails, simple navigation, swabbing decks and handling lines
- This activity is flexible and can be tailored to individual needs!
- Spend 2hrs on-board the Tall Ship James Craig, the flagship of the Sydney Heritage Fleet
- Activities are led by our Youth Program Supervisor and James Craig volunteers
- Full compliance verification and documentation